TravelLocal is a fast-growing, innovative and ambitious travel company based in the heart of Bristol, with a global footprint. We are disrupting and bringing online the huge tailor-made holidays market worldwide, the last sector of the travel industry to still be offline, and pioneering the “buy local” movement in travel.
We are backed by three bluechip VC investors including Channel 4 Ventures, Active Partners (Secret Cinema, Leon, Honest Burgers, Rapha Cycles), and Gresham House Ventures (formerly part of Living Bridge, who backed On the Beach and Love Holidays).
Our cutting edge web software platform connects locally-owned travel companies in more than 50 countries worldwide with our global client base of travellers, to create and deliver amazing tailor-made holidays. As such our business is a hybrid between a travel company and a fast-growing tech-enabled software disruptor and our team and culture reflects this. We are an exciting, dynamic, fun and driven place to work.
Our carefully selected local partner companies (DMCs) around the world are at the heart of our ethos – that local knowledge is best, that local economies should benefit more from tourism and that the best holidays are made with creativity and imagination from real experts who live and work in the destination itself.
Our clients come from over 40 origin countries globally so far and love our proposition as evidenced by their feedback (we have an NPS of over 80). They cover all age groups, with budgets from mid-range to luxury. They are searching for authentic, bespoke holiday experiences in order to really get under the skin of a destination. TravelLocal offers them something different from mainstream holiday companies, as well as the benefits of human advice with online convenience, with financial protection.
You will report to the Managing Director.
Why you are at TravelLocal
You will have full responsibility for all aspects of the company’s finances. You will shape and run everything within our finance function and will cover a wide range of finance-related roles from detailed to broader strategic (e.g. financial reporting and compliance, fundraising support, commercial analysis and people management).
What you will do (Responsibilities)
- Coordinating and directing the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, including scenario modelling and the reporting of variances to the board
- Taking ownership of and evolving our sophisticated financial forecast model
- Support the MD and Chairman with investor and fundraising activities and due diligence
- Managing and maintaining scalable financial processes and systems in a high growth environment
- Overseeing the delivery of timely monthly management accountants as well as other core reporting for company board meetings (including our VC investors)
- Continual drive to support and improve cash generation, profit and margins through effective financial control and commercial acumen
- Manage cash flow by tracking transactions and regularly reviewing internal reports
- Ensuring the timely and efficient payment of our partners, employees and suppliers
- Managing our fx exposure and maximising our fx gains
- Overseeing our business analytics, with a dedicated team member in this role
- Taking responsibility for renewal and monitoring of our ATOL and ABTA license/membership, and fulfilling all our ATOL/ABTA reporting and regulatory obligations
- Liaising with our auditors / statutory accountants to assist with the preparation of our year-end audited statutory accounts
What you need to know (Skills & experience)
- You will be a qualified accountant with a minimum of 3 years experience (ideally in both an accountancy firm and in industry)
- Experience managing complex financial models and scenario modelling
- Highly competent excel user, including the ability to manage and manipulate large data sets
- Comfortable with establishing new processes/systems and rolling them out to the wider team to follow
- Strong commercial acumen combined with a strong focus on accuracy and getting the detail right
- Confidence in liaising with senior management team and investors/board members
- People skills essential to support and maintain the Finance function but also as a business partner with the rest of the team
If asked your current colleagues would say you are:
- Organised, with great attention to detail
- Able to work efficiently and quickly, under pressure, to a deadline
- Entrepreneurial and commercial
- A confident communicator
- Interested in contributing to all aspects of the business, Eg. providing financial insight into marketing economics
- Highly analytical
- Passionate about getting the job done well
- Resourceful – able to use your initiative to solve problems and still deliver within time and budgetary constraints
- A good team player
The nice to haves:
- Previous experience working in the travel industry
- Knowledge of ATOL and ABTA financial criteria and reporting requirements
- Experience of using Xero
- Experience in a Private Equity/Venture Capital backed company
- A passion for travel
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
How to apply
Get in touch
Please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest for this role. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive we can only contact successful applicants.