Are you looking for a new challenge in a backend developer role? Are you eager to apply your extensive experience with PHP frameworks to our ever growing travel platform application? Change doesn’t scare you and you enjoy constantly learning and growing? Then read on, you’d probably love being part of our team!
After a recent merger Berlin-based trip.me founded in 2013 and Bristol-based TravelLocal founded in 2016 are joining forces to become the leading online platform for personalized travel.
Our modern web platform connects locally-owned travel companies in more than 100 destinations worldwide with our global client base of travellers, to create and deliver amazing tailor-made holidays.
About the Role
As an experienced PHP application developer you will be focused on the backend components of our web platform (based on the Symfony framework) to improve it for our customers, travel agencies and internal admins alike.
Some of our current challenges include integrating the platforms of our two merged companies, streamlining the online workflow of our admins and local experts, as well as evolving and personalising the enquiry, communication and booking experience for our customers.
While we highly value drive and motivation to make up for fewer years of experience, we expect at least three years of professional experience working with PHP frameworks.
What you’ll do:
- Work on a web application built with a range of technologies (PHP, Symfony, TypeScript, React, Node, Next.js), focussing on the Symfony part.
- Extend and refine the data model of our application.
- Connect the system with external APIs, create internal APIs (GraphQL) for our front-end systems.
- Determine and develop appropriate solutions based on the stakeholder’s requirements and best tech practices.
- Build tests & monitoring systems to keep the project easily maintainable.
- Continuously improve technical knowledge and interaction with other team members.
- Lead by helping to deconstruct and simplify technical challenges for the team.
- Mentor and coach less experienced team members to help them grow as developers.
- Use your insight and experience to help us continuously improve our processes and the way we work as a team.
Who you are:
- You are comfortable working with scalable, long-lived PHP based web applications, ideally with Symfony, alternatively with any other professional PHP framework such as Laravel.
- You have a passion for your work as an engineer, for solving challenges through smart concepts and for producing clean, understandable, well documented and maintainable code.
- You are creative and pragmatic in all product phases, striking a balance between making things perfect and shipping the product fast.
- You are an effective communicator (company language is English) when talking with other members of the dev team, the product manager, and external stakeholders, and you are well aware of the business context of projects.
- You are passionate about building a product, and a team culture, that you can be proud of.
- You focus on learning and self-development and ensure everyone benefits from your expertise.
- You are comfortable working fully remotely and independently, although well connected to and in constant exchange with the rest of the team through our communication tools and practices (e.g. Scrum meetings).
- You are comfortable with change which is normal in a recently merged start-up.
You’ll have an edge if:
- You know your way around a Docker container.
- You’ve deployed applications to a cloud environment, ideally AWS.
- You have experience with front-end technologies such as React.
- You have worked in a scrum team or other agile process.
- Your creativity extends beyond the product, to overcoming business challenges and contributing ideas to other teams.
- You share your technical expertise through speaking at meetups and conferences, or writing about technology.
- You have a passion for travelling to interesting places. Interest in the world is a must!
What we offer:
- Full time (40 hours per week) position, fully remote with market-orientated salary.
- 25 days holiday per year, plus statutory (UK) holidays (33 total).
- Flexible working hours policy (only our daily core working hours are fixed).
- Start-up spirit in an experienced international team with highly motivated colleagues working towards a big, ambitious common goal.
- Possibility to take ownership in projects and have a direct and immediate impact on the company.
- Once you have been with the team for 6 months, you can take advantage of an annual travel allowance of £500/€600 when booking through our platform.
If that sounds interesting, then let’s talk!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
How to apply
Send your application including earliest start date and salary expectation, to Stefan Richter (email@example.com) and show us why you should join our team as PHP application developer.
Please note that we will not respond to agencies.